'abgleich' 0.0.8 released
A ZFS synchronization and backup tool
0.0.8 release of
abgleich, a simple ZFS sync tool and pleiszenburg.de open source project. This version is a major rewrite of many of its core functionalities to allow better long-term maintenance and extension. The cleanup of snapshots has been improved and is now also possible on the source zpool. Besides,
abgleich now does not collide anymore with other ZFS backup tools.
abgleich is a simple ZFS sync tool. It displays source and target ZFS zpool, dataset and snapshot trees. It creates meaningful snapshots only if datasets have actually been changed. It compares a source zpool tree to a target, backup zpool tree. It pushes backups from a source to a target. It cleanes up older snapshots on the source side if they are present on the target side. It runs on a command line and produces nice, user-friendly, human-readable, colorized output. It also includes a GUI.
zfs-auto-snapshotcan be told to ignore backup datasets on the target side, see #3.
sambacan optionally be told to NOT share/expose backup datasets on the target side, see #4.
ssh-port on source and target becomes configurable, see #22.
- FEATURE: New configuration fields for
processing. They can carry shell commands for pre- and post-processing of data before and after it is transferred via ssh. This enables the use of e.g.
bzip2as a custom transfer compression beyond the compression capabilities of
sshitself. See #23.
abgleich cleancan also remove snapshots on
targetbut only if they are not part of the current overlap with
source. The behavior can be controlled via the new
keep_backlogconfiguration option, see #24 and #25.
- FEATURE: Configuration module contains default values for parameters, making it much easier to write lightweight configuration files, see #28. The configuration parser now also provides much more useful output.
abgleich comparehighlight ignored datasets.
- FEATURE: Significantly more flexible shell command wrapper and, as a result, cleaned up transaction handling.
- FEATURE: Python 3.9 and 3.10 compatibility.
- FIX: Many cleanups in code base, enabling future developments.
Installation instructions are available on Github.